We’ve all been there. You’re super excited to go outdoors, get some fresh air and get a healthy workout in for the day. Although some people like to exercise in the rain, most prefer to stick to indoor workouts when the weather gets messy. If you’re in this situation, these indoor workouts will exercise all of your muscles when it’s too rainy to get outdoors. And — best of all — you don’t even need any gym equipment. All of these indoor workouts are bodyweight exercises, meaning all you need is your body, floor and gravity!
The “Plank” is a popular exercise that tones nearly every muscle in your body. To begin:
- Lay on your stomach and press up into a push-up position.
- Instead of holding up your bodyweight with your hands, bend your elbows and rest your forearms on the floor with your hands clasped in front of you.
- Similar to a push-up, your back must be flat from your shoulders to ankles. Arching your back can result in a bad workout or injury.
- Hold this position for 2 minutes for as many repetitions as you’d like! With practice, you’ll find that you can hold the position longer over time!
Superman (Chest & Back)
Luckily, there are no super powers needed for this Clark Kent-inspired workout. But you’ll definitely feel the benefits of this bodyweight exercise in your chest and back muscle:
- Lay face down with your arms and legs extended straight and slightly spread out.
- Raise your arms, legs and chest simultaneously off your mat or the floor. Depending on your chest and back muscle strength, hold this position for 2 or more seconds for as many repetitions as you’d like.
Russian Twists (Core)
Add a little culture to your indoor workout with the Russian Twist. We promise you’ll be feeling this one in your core tomorrow morning:
- Lay down on the ground with your knees bent as if you are in a sit-up position.
- Elevate your torso so that your upper body and legs create a V-shape
- Grab a lightweight bouncy ball or circular weight and extend your arms in front of you, your elbows straight with your arms perpendicular to your body.
- Twist your torso to the right, moving your arms and torso so that your arms are parallel with the floor. Hold this position for two seconds.
- Twist your torso to the left, repeating the motion in Step 4. Continue alternating from right to left.
Wall Sit (Legs)
It’s LEG DAY! This classic and easy exercise will whip your leg muscles into shape without any complicated steps:
- Stand with your back against a wall, your arms extended out parallel to the floor.
- Slide your back down the wall until your hips and legs form a 90-degree angle. Always keep your head, shoulders and upper back against the wall.
- With both your feet flat on the ground, use your legs to hold up your body while maintaining a 90-degree angle with your hips and legs. Hold this position for a recommended 2-3 minutes depending on muscle strength.
Yet another classic that can be done as easily at home as in the gym or outside. Although it is a simple exercise, the key to squats is to make sure you’re doing them correctly:
- Start by standing with great posture, keeping your head and chest up.
- Extend your arms in front of your body, keeping your arms at shoulder level with your fingers also extended.
- Squat down, keeping your back straight and making sure that your knees are in line with your feet. Lower your squat until your hip joint is parallel with your knees. Hold this position for a couple seconds.
- Using your legs, lift yourself back into your initial standing position, always keeping your back straight and your arms extended at shoulder level.
Although these 5 bodyweight exercises are particularly great for rainy days, they can be done any day of the week regardless of weather. Exercise helps maintain both physical and mental health, so the next time it’s raining, don’t skip out on gym day. Just turn your home into your own personal training facility!